King Eddy is hiring a Production Manager (24 hours per week)
Join the team at the King Eddy.
Location: King Eddy Live Music Limited, Calgary
Reporting to: General Manager/Secretary Treasurer
About the King Eddy
As a cornerstone of the National Music Centre development, the rich civic and musical history of the King Edward Hotel spanned more than 100 years in Calgary and is the primary reason that NMC chose to construct Studio Bell on its current site in Calgary’s East Village. The hotel was one of the first built in Calgary along 9 Avenue in 1905, and throughout its history, was a home and destination for travelers, settlers, musicians, music fans, and citizens from all walks of life. From the early 1980s until it closed in 2003, the “Eddy” had a respected local, national and international reputation for great live music and was affectionately known as “Calgary’s Home of the Blues.” This legacy of great live music and atmosphere in an authentic setting contributed to the Eddy being recognized as an important piece of Calgary’s music history, which continues to this day.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
KELM believes in the power and importance of diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We ensure equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and encourage people of all visible minorities, including Indigenous applicants, and those of any religion, sex, age, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression to apply.
About this Position
The Production Manager will report to the General Manager and Secretary Treasurer. The Production Manager is responsible for the administration, scheduling, maintenance, preparation and execution of all A/V technical requests in the King Eddy (KELM). This role is currently 24 hours per week (salary) including benefits (health & dental).
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the Talent Buyer and Events Coordinator in assessing the audio, video, and lighting needs for an event and ensuring they are met.
- Assisting with A/V tech staff hiring, interviews, training, orientation and supervision.
- Assisting with artist and client correspondence and walkthroughs.
- Performing regular maintenance of audio, video, stage and lighting equipment.
- Scheduling technical assistants or freelance techs to work shows in advance and approving hours/invoices for payroll.
- Liaising between the Talent Buyer and artist to ensure all technical needs have been prepared in advance of the show.
- Advancing, setting up, striking and operating audio, video, and lighting for a roster of shows at the King Eddy.
- Working with King Eddy staff and third-party suppliers/freelancers to successfully prepare, execute and conclude events at King Eddy.
- Booking piano tunings or ordering backline in advance.
- Adhering to King Eddy policies and attend training and evaluation meetings.
- Ensuring the security and safety of the King Eddy and the National Music Centre Collection items housed in the King Eddy.
- Providing good stewardship of the King Eddy equipment with a focus on the King Eddy audio, video, lighting, IT and Collections resources.
- Ensuring the comfort and safety of customers and staff of the King Eddy.
- Advocating on behalf of the King Eddy, communicating our mission and vision and being up-to-date on key messages and dress code requirements.
- Completing other duties as assigned.
- Mastery of live audio, video, and lighting production and the corresponding needs of musicians, artists and commercial clients.
- Work well independently with minimal supervision.
- Provide exceptional customer service, inter-personal and problem-solving skills.
- Be a strong team player with exemplary leadership skills and positive attitude.
- Have strong organizational and logistical skills with attention to detail and accuracy; able to multitask and manage time wisely.
- Be a personable worker with the ability to work with an ever-changing roster of staff, clients, guests and contractors.
- Be a motivated self-learner who keeps up to date with emerging technologies, equipment and procedures.
- Be enthusiastic and self-motivated, able to work well independently and be quick to take initiative as well as follow instruction.
- Have strong communication skills and be able to think quickly on their feet.
- Understand that being receptive to our clients, both internal and external, and their needs is paramount.
- Be passionate about music, and enjoy engaging people.
- Be willing and able to work to a flexible part time schedule.
- Have the ability to lift up to 30 kilos.
- Exhibit patience and thoroughness when teaching other King Eddy staff/freelancers.
- Be quick to learn, adapt and implement new technologies.
- Be familiar with specialty event equipment and resources.
- Familiarity and experience with the service, facilities, theatre, events and/or museum or other not-for-profit industries is an asset.
- Additional assets include: Electrical, IT and electronic technician skills, experience as a musician, stage management experience, and familiarity with recording studio environments and equipment
- Talent Buyer
- Technical Assistants
- General Manager
- Secretary Treasurer
- King Eddy Staff
Qualified applicants should send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com on or before October 31, 2023 with the job title indicated in the subject line of the email.
Please ensure that your full name is in the file name (ex. Smith_Jane_cover_letter_resume) and the subject line of your email is: King Eddy Production Manager. No phone calls please.